Sunday, January 3, 2010

Gift of the Magi or We 3 Kings Helps Bryce's Back


Today was Epiphany Sunday on the Christian liturgical calendar. I know the actual holiday is the 6th of January, but many churches actually celebrate it on the Sunday before the 6th. (that being today)  Now I am not going to go into a whole long discussion of what Epiphany is, as we really celebrate two things during Epiphany, the baptism of Christ, and the 12th day of Christmas (12 drummers drumming) and the arrival of three 'wise guys' from orient far that followed yonder star.

I sat in church today and listened to a sermon about gifts and talents, and that we all have gifts, whether we deny them or not.  The priest actually preached about opera today, (yep, I payed attention to the sermon, at least the beginning) as he referenced Gian Carlo Menotti's one-act opera Amahl and the Night Visitors.   The little boy gives up his crutches to the "Three Kings" at the door, to take with them as a gift.  Our priest then went on to describe the three kings, or astrologers, or wise guys. (you know this church loves the three wise fellas when we sing this hymn on Christmas Eve, the Sunday after Christmas, and Epiphany...yep three Sundays in a row)

Anyway, he went on to describe the "spiritual meanings" of the travelers from afar and their gifts of Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh.   I'm not going to go into what they were, or their specific properties.  You can read that kinda stuff here.

Anyway, It got me thinking about the best gift a chiropractor (or in this case, my friend Deb) can give some one... SAMPLES!

A couple of years ago, she introduced me to some samples of Far Infrared Cool Herbal Patches called Golden Sunshine.   These are herbal medicinal patches that I use for sprains,  backaches, and pulls and things.   The active ingredients are Menthol, Tourmaline, and Wintergreen oil. (Yep, sounds a bit like Vicks in patch form instead of Vaseline form)

With these samples, however, I believe that Deb became to me more than just a friend or chiropractor.  She is, in fact one of those "We wise FOLK of orient are" (I guess the Presbyterians, Methodist, Episcopalians, et al need to go back and change some more lyrics to hymns, as no one anticipated a female WiseMAN)  Let me give you the full ingredient list of these Golden Sunshine Patches:

Sesame oil, resin, zinc oxide, frankencense, myrrha, angelicae dahuicae radix, angelicae sinensis radix, paeoniae rubra radix... I could go on, but I don't fee like typing it...

Yep, that's right! My magic (or Magi) patches are fit for a savior..and good enough for my sore back that feels like the 12 drummers have been beating on it all day!   They are Golden Sunshine (as in gift 1 and the light from the star closest to us) and they contain gifts 2 and 3! They are officially what I now lovingly call:

WE THREE KINGS PATCHES! 

Thanks Deb! I thank you, the Lord thanks you, and most importantly so does my aching back!

No comments:

Post a Comment