Saturday, February 13, 2010

Ready, Shoot, Aim...Publicity and my Recording Project

I have been horrible about writing on this blog.... I started the year with grand intentions of actually having some follow through and writing daily, or at least most days. Of course, when I got the chance to launch my recording project fundraising on Kickstarter, I jumped at it! I never realized that it would be like another full-time job.

Writing letters, designing brochures, filming videos, answering interview questions...posting Facebook status updates. For the last 3 weeks I have been honing my "pitch." I have been learning about myself, my craft, my creativity, this is an incredible exercise!

I have reached 21% funded, with 47 days to go! It seems like I have a very long way to go, and a short time to get there, but I was reading last night about 94% of Kickstarter projects that reach 25% funded end up fully funded! That is something I can sink my teeth into. It somehow means 25% seems to be the threshold where you have enough people that want to make the project happen, that they won't let you fail. It is enough to not let yourself fail. I have put so many hours into the project, I don't want to let anyone down!

I have written a Tampa version of a press release, which I will share here! Please check it out... repost this blog... share the project with friends...and most of all, realize that I am really enjoying the process!

#######

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

For more information contact: Bryce Westervelt, brycewestervelt@hotmail.com

Available for interview – in studio appearances

Local Singer Receives Special Invitation, Launches Recording Project

NEW PORT RICHEY, FL, FEBRUARY 12, 2010: Tampa Bay area tenor, Bryce Westervelt is launching a campaign to fund a new recording of Franz Schubert’s masterpiece Die schöne Müllerin.

Westervelt has received an invitation from Kickstarter.com to submit his recording project. Kickstarter.com is a website for artists to showcase their artistic endeavors. The website helps artists promote and organize a grass-roots style campaign to fund their project in a way that gives “backers” (whether they give $1 or $100) something in return.

“Fundraising for the arts in this economic environment is tough, especially as an independent artist,” says Westervelt. “Featuring my recording project on Kickstarter lets my donors get a rare behind-the-scenes look at the project from concept to completion. The best part is you don’t have to be wealthy to be a part of something special.”

Donors to the project will receive gifts ranging from exclusive project access and copies of the recording, to having their name listed in the liner notes or having their own personal concert. Project backers also receive one-on-one interaction with the artist through the entire project.

“[I] love the ‘Sponsor a measure’ idea,” Yancey Strickler remarked about the $5 donation level on Kickstarter’s blog. “[Offers like these] are things that entice me to back. Let me share in your story. Let me feel like I played a role.”

Westervelt has set a project budget of $6500 that will cover all recording expenses and must be raised by April 1, 2010, for the project to be funded. If he does not reach the goal by April 1, none of the backers are charged and the project does not move forward.

Westervelt’s long-time colleague, pianist R. Timothy McReynolds will collaborate with him on the project. This will be Westervelt’s debut recording. Westervelt is familiar to Bay area concert-goers for his appearances in recent seasons with Opera Tampa, the Florida Orchestra, and the St. Petersburg Opera. In the last year, his performance schedule has taken him to seven states and Italy performing in various concerts, recitals, and operas.

More information about Westervelt’s recording project can be found by visiting:

http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/brycewestervelt and clicking on the Debut CD Project link.

###

Tenor, Bryce Westervelt, is sought after as a soloist with opera companies, orchestras, and choral groups across the nation. His concert repertoire spans over 50 major works, and he has been a featured artist with many groups over the last decade.

Pursuing a career that embraces art song, opera, chamber music, and cabaret, pianist R. Timothy McReynolds is also active as a teacher and vocal coach. He is a full-time Vocal Coach on the faculty of the University of Maryland School of Music.

Kickstarter.com is a funding platform for artists, designers, filmmakers, musicians, journalists, inventors and explorers. www.kickstarter.com

Bryce Westervelt can be reached by email at brycewestervelt@hotmail.com.

-End-

1 comment: